Sunday 11 December 2011

Well, that didn’t go as planned…

My scalp continues to be flaky and irritating. I must admit I don’t entirely understand it: It’s been so rainy and wet outside for weeks that even with the heat cranked up inside, the moisture should still seep in, right? My scalp shouldn’t be suffering from a dry climate, should it? It’s not that cold outside either, yet.
I don’t get it.

Anyways. I thought I was clever last night: Instead of CO washing to get the damned flakes off; I decided to do a scritching. That seems to be the most commonly used term for manipulating the dry scalp to loosen up scalp gunk. So using my fingertips, comb, brush, fingernails and this “octopus” massage thingie I cleaned my scalp of the flakes before brushing them out of the length.
I felt really clever.

Today my scalp is intensely greasy. Yep. Figures: The long manipulation yesterday really stimulated it to release sebum. So now I can either make peace with being a total greaseball, or I can do the wash I was hoping to avoid.

Touché, scalp.
     

1 comment:

  1. From the pictures you posted in a previous post, I really think it looks like a text book example of dandruff. A little dandruff is normal (dead skin cells sheds), but a yeast/fungus infection (or infection with other micro-organisms, but that’s very rare!) can cause rapid cell-turnover, and it can be aggravated by a scalp that is moist for extended periods of time. Normal scalp cell turnover rate is about a month, but skin cells infected with Malassezia globosa fungus mature in 2 - 7 days, causing big clumps of white skin cell flakes on the scalp, and often increased oil production.

    There are certain shampoos made for killing scalp fungus, but I know you don’t use shampoo, so perhaps you should try a miconazole nitrate product (like Brentan), but it would probably be hell of a greasy mess.

    Good luck with getting your scalp back on track :)

    ReplyDelete