Friday 23 March 2012

Protein and vanity

I’ve been trying to get serious with the fitness for a while. I got an invitation to fitocracy from Gwen in the UTT fitocracry thread and it’s been seriously motivating to me. Funny how tools and toys like this always helps you stay focused. Like it isn’t good enough just to go because it makes you happy and healthy?
I’d like to get fitter and lose some fat. I’m really tired of being too big for my clothes and feeling out of shape.

Anyways. I was thinking about making a “set” diet to lose the fat, but I’m a little weird when it comes to that. I’ve tried the calorie counting thing and it Does. Not. Work. For. Me. It’s like a mental blockage or something. I just can’t do it.

But what does work for me it having a “set” premade diet I just need to follow: As in “Eat A and drink B for breakfast. Eat C and drink D for lunch.” Etc.

That kind of discipline works for me. No clue why I can’t just count “on the go”.

Maybe it’s a related blockage I have when it comes to the hair care schedule? I guess my mind just rebels at having to put so much effort into something that is supposed to come naturally and effortless?

Anyways. I do have a point with this, I swear.

So I was calculating on some “pre-set” diets and I keep getting a bit worried about my protein intake. Why is that? Because I’m shallow and worry about my hair, that’s why.

I have already experienced one very sneaky shed in my life and I’m not willing to sacrifice any hair for fat loss. I love my mane more than I hate my lovehandles. I still get my thumb thick regrowth poking out of my updos or braids from time to time and it makes me cringe.

From some research I think I should aim for 1,5 gram of protein per 1 kg of body weight per day if I want to work out and diet at the same time. Just to be safe.

I find it difficult to get there on food alone and still stay at a safe calorie deficiency. So naturally I started looking at protein drinks. Since I would like to get as much protein for as little calories as possible (Hey, I prefer eating my calories, not drinking them!) I divided the calorie content with the protein content for each drink.

The results were pretty surprising.

The lowest had just 3,9 calories per 1 gram of protein. That’s near the “raw” calorie content for 1 gram of protein, if I’m not mistaken? The highest had 8,1 calories per 1 gram of protein. That’s over twice as much!

A little math to compare the results and one protein drink per day of the calorie heavy one would “translate” into over 5 kg of pure fat more than the calorie low one in a year. Yikes.

I guess this is really how I ended up feeling fat: Those “few” extra, unnoticed calories per day. A piece of chocolate, a few chips, a second serving “just a tiny portion” even though I’m already full.

Still, I’m shocked at the difference between the protein drinks.

So, boring rant aside I’m just extending my discovery to those that may care: Run calories/protein through your calculator if you are looking to buy protein drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment