Friday 15 September 2017

Shampoo

I have a mildly embarrassing confession: I can't always tell when my hair is over or underconditioned.

Both results in almost the same feeling: Mildly irritated hair that is more difficult than normal to detangle. It forms annoying little fairy knots for no apparent reason. It dries slightly odd too, like, faster or something.
The only thing that can hint to the problem, is the location of the fairy knots. If they're mostly at the ends, it's probably underconditioned. If the entire length is a problem, it's probably overconditioned. But it's not clear and easy to spot because the fairy knots spreads.

Usually when my hair gets that "mildly irritated" feeling, I just try to condition it. If that doesn't fix the problem after a few tries, it's time to get the shampoo out.

So I borrowed some of Hubby's shampoo and washed it. Unless I've shampooed at a time and not documented it, my last shampoo was almost exactly a year ago.

I don't think I have used shampoo in the meantime without writing it down. This was my point to begin with when I started blogging: It's a tool to keep track of what works and doesn't work for me, and to keep myself experimenting with products and styles.

This raises a question for me: Does my hair get crankier around autumn? I wouldn't actually be surprised at that. The increased autumn wind and rain makes me put in more leave in-products, and often using the kind with more hold than normal. That sounds like a quick way to get build up.

Shampoo followed by some conditioner got my hair right back to normal. But my scalp feels dry, itchy and miserable. It will take a few days for it to recover...

3 comments:

  1. OK the long hair shower GIF is pretty amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My scalp always knows when the seasons change. I always wonder if it has something to do with sweating. We sweat more in the summer, and I wonder if that does something to the scalp that, when the cooler weather comes, is it irritable? Less moisture? Is something growing in there? For me, I have to wash, but I was using a special conditioner for my scalp once our temps dropped to what I call reasonable, and since our temps went back to August like (boo!), my scalp isn't cranky, but I am because I like the cooler autumn weather :D

    Just something to make you go 'hmmmmm...." :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried many shampoos! Some of them worked and many didnt. I found the best shampoo and conditioner from the ancient times shikakai!

    ReplyDelete