Thursday 9 May 2019

Sun protection products for hair

I made an order at Lookfantastic.se for some skin stuff. While I was there, I searched for "hair + uv" (Well, "hår + uv" in Swedish) to find some hair products with UV protection for the upcoming sunny season. To absolutely no ones surprise, running the ingredients through COSDNA's analyser showed no SPF ingredients at all in many of them. Most of them were just full of silicones to smooth and hide the damage. Even though I absolutely love silicones and my thick, coarse hair would be a mess without them, this pisses me off. But then again it shouldn't surprise me given how many people believe that heat protection products work.

I ordered three leave in products with actual UV protection.

Shu Uemura Art Of Hair Satin Design
This was the only leave in product in cream/lotion form I could find with actual SPF.


Aqua / Water, C13-16 Isoparaffin, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Polyacrylamide, Octyldodecanol, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Caprylyl Glycol, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Parfum / Fragrance, Hydroxypropyl Guar, Polyquaternium-11, Laureth-7, Maris Aqua / Sea Water, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Benzophenone-4, Limonene, Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil / Jojoba Seed, Oil, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Benzoate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, Citral, Sodium Hydroxide, Crithmum Maritimum Extract, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Triethanolamine.
The SPF ingredients are Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate and Benzophenone-4.

KORRES Natural Red Vine Hair Protection
It's a sad proof on how hard it is so find leave in products with SPF that I'll resort to buying one that contains aloe vera! I'm very much allergic to aloe vera if it's pressed with the skin as opposed to being peeled before pressing, and there is no way to know how the aloe vera juice in this product was prepared. I will simply have to try it and see if my skin flips out on me or not.


Aqua/Water/Eau, Glycerin, Aloe Barbandensis Leaf Juice, PPG-26-Buteth-26, Alcohol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Benzoate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Citral, Citronellol, Coumarin, Geraniol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Isoamyl p-Methoxycinnamate, Lecithin, Limonene, Linalool, Oleyl Oleate, Panthenol, Parfum (Fragrance), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Polyquartenium-10, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Stearamine, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract.
The SPF ingredients are Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane and Isoamyl p-methoxycinnamate.

Bumble and bumble Hairdressers Invisible Oil UV Protective Dry Oil Finishing Spray
Why do some of these products have such ridiculously long names?
This is in a pressurized can, so I'm quite curious to see how different it is to distribute in my hair. I expect it to be a lot easier than the pump-type bottles.


Water/Aqua/Eau, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Petrolatum, Cetearyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Myristate, Ceteareth-20, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, PVP, Squalane, Beeswax\Cera Alba\Cire D'Abeille, Microcrystalline Wax/Cera Microcristallina\Cire Microcristalline, Bertholletia Excelsa (Brazil Nut) Seed Oil, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Seed Oil, Pentaclethra Macroloba Seed Oil, Theobroma Grandiflorum Seed Butter, Pantethine, Urea, PEG-8 Dimethicone, Sodium PCA, Cetrimonium Chloride, Panthenol, Polyquaternium-7, Polyacrylate Crosspolymer-7, Polyquaternium-51, Trehalose, Myristalkonium Chloride, Quaternium-14, Phytantriol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Fragrance (Parfum), Linalool, Citral, Limonene, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Chlorphenesin, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol.

The SPF ingredients are Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl salicylate and Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate.

I'm considering doing another SPF experiment this year. First of all, I have a way better camera (Well, phone, but whatever) now and I should be able to actually show the difference. Second of all, I'm now (painfully) aware that some products doesn't contain the SPF they advertise they have, so I could do an experiment with products that actually contain SPF.

No comments:

Post a Comment