Next week will be really busy for me. So while I was preparing for a week of work and sleep and little time for anything else, I had a thought...
The braid bases are great for busy days because I can easily "reuse" them for different styles and go directly to sleep with the braids. But how long could I stretch the "reuse" period? How
lazy efficient could I possibly get and still stand myself?
There are a few factors in this:
- My scalp loves water, so it will not enjoy going rinse free and not having the braids redone. My scalp is slightly dry and I don't produce a lot of sebum, so I won't get noticeably greasy unless I stretch the no-wash for... weeks? Irritation and itchiness could be a factor though.
- How many updos/buns I could do with the braid base. Doing a good braid base would be kind of pointless if I can't use it for different buns. I always get this irrational irritation at those who have long hair but can't do anything cool with it. The options of updos is what made me grow it this long in the first place.
- Flyaways/halo. I think this will be the limiting factor. I don't generally like messy updos: Why waste time on making something cool with your hair, if you're just going to mess up the structure anyways? Wouldn't you want your effort to show? There won't be much I can do for this, since you have "wear" from sleep, wind and rain. A strong leave in-conditioner might help, but there is only so much they can really do and I'm not willing to use stronger styling products.
What braid base to pick?
My theory is that although I would initially think a Dutch braid base would be the best for it's ability to tame the halo, the Dutch structure itself will increase rubbing against a pillow. The braid needs to be "flat" against the scalp instead of protruding.
My conclusion: Why not try four simple braids?
Styling options for four braids:
- Single bun options: Royal bun and (Complicated) Chinese bun
- Double buns options, horizontal: Royal buns, Chinese buns and Nautilus buns
- Double buns options, vertical: Royal buns, Chinese buns and Nautilus buns
- Quad buns options: Nautilus buns and cinnamon buns
I'm happy with the braid base.
Tomorrow I will start the experiment....