Friday 2 April 2021

Blogging from A to Z challenge: B is for Blogging

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter B

When I first started finding my way into the longhair circuit, it was on the Yahoo groups. This is practically ancient in internet terms!

One of the first, and greatest tips I picked up on was blogging.

The thing is, you can't remember half of what you think you can. No matter how fun it seemed or how inspired you were. So blogging is the way to go to keep track of how products works for you, what updos or things you want to try in the future, updos you can do now and you risk slipping out of rotation, and thoughts and inspiration for the future.

It doesn't matter if you blog on paper in private, on a private, locked blog or have a public one on a longhair site or a standalone platform, or even vlogging for that matter. What's important is that you have somewhere to store your thoughts, pictures and videos (Granted, blogging on paper isn't so good at that)


My own thoughts on blogging
Write what you want to write. It's your own blog, don't try to please your audience. The right people who like your angle on things will come, the people who want you to change and give them the content they want, will be unhappy no matter what.
If you want to go green and natural and inspire other people: Go for it.
If you want to create perfect, elaborate amazing updos: Go for it.
If you want to just write your own mishmash of documenting your growth and daily care and practical updos and inspiration... Well, that's what I do. Find your own thing


Seriously though. Blogging is a good tool for this. It helped me figure out some allergies, it helped me figure out my hair doesn't actually grow as fast as everyone thinks, it helped me figure out what products have weird reactions in my hair and it helps me having fun with all the creative things I can do with my hair. And why even have long hair if you can't do something different with it?

3 comments:

  1. "Write what you want to write. It's your own blog, don't try to please your audience. The right people who like your angle on things will come, the people who want you to change and give them the content they want, will be unhappy no matter what."
    Ah! I miss the build-and-they-will-come phylosophy of the internet 10 years ago. today we must impress people, intros and outros are bigger than the content (and the content is meaningless by that); I miss the content with info, not those "buy this product" hypocrisy.
    Yes, I have a blog entry about updos, but I keep it private for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, yes, I hate it so much! I just really can't relate to that kind of picture perfect content. In fact, it only really discourages me, you know? I just don't have the time for making that kind of content and the people I *actually* need to impress are at work and school. I'm so grateful for the people with the same mind set that takes the time to visit my blog :) Those are the people I want to talk to and exchange knowledge with! They are working people with friends and hobbies and other things on their minds, and hair is just a fraction of their lives... Just like me :)

      Delete
  2. I've always enjoyed the blog because of your engineering/tech background (same as mine).
    You look at thinks from a factual perspective, much like engineering and chemistry work.
    Also because of your approach of "here I am, this is what I look like today, some days my skin is not perfect, I am not trying to be a Kardashian" approach.

    ReplyDelete