Friday 9 April 2021

Blogging from A to Z challenge: Habits

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter H 

H is for for habits.
Perhaps the most well known and classic hair advice is to practice benign neglect. And I agree: It's important.
But, I think the advice should probably be more like "Practice good habits" instead.
Benign neglect points to more of a "Do as little as possible"-approach, which is very close, but not entirely the same as building some good, hair friendly habits.
After all, I think for most people "Do as little as possible" can leave you... Well, gross and with boring hair. And why grow your hair long to begin with, if you don't use it for fun and interesting updos?

But habits are important. 
It's a matter of being effective in your care and handling.
Spending just a few minutes extra every day doing something destructive to your hair, or doing something good for your hair, it doesn't seem like much for the day, but after years or even decades... It really adds up.

I try to always do my detangling and updos in front of the mirror. If I start getting annoyed at my hair tangling, my temper wins and my hair loses. So being able to see my face and reactions is often enough to stop me from ripping through the offending tangle.
I keep a scissor near my favourite monitor because the contrast is so good for finding and snipping damage.
I keep a small spray bottle of SPF in all my bags, in case I spend more time outdoors than planned so I can protect my hair and skin. I'm a little obsessed with sun protection for my hair, since it can't repair itself. 
I often use my braids several days in a row. It saves me so much time and it saves my hair a lot of handling.
My weirdest habit is probably that I remove the tags in my shirts. Since I have to pull at least one shirt over my head four times a day, it really adds up. Those little tags can be quite rough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment