Sunday 7 April 2013

Fabulous fruit!

Finding this product delighted me like crazy. Seriously. I was cracking up in the middle of the hair product isle. Unfortunately I wasn’t out with any of my girl friends, but with Hubby. He definitely didn’t get it. Instead he gave me that look where I suspect he is weighing my good sides against the most recent outburst of the crazies.
But seriously. Look at it:


It is so blatantly copying Fructis.
  • The name: Fabulous fruit! I mean, not only does it lean against the Fructis name, but I just can’t help but imagining it being said with overly excited jazz-hands: Fabulous! Fruit!!
  • The colour: That migraine inducing glow-in-the-dark green.
  • The claim: “With fruit extract”. (Which I feel requires an exclamation point and some gesturing as well)
  • The scent… Wow, the scent took gave me an honest to goddess flashback to the mid 90s. I remember being off at boarding school and this girl in my class told me her new shampoo smelled delicious and I stuck my nose in it and felt the explosion of sour green apple bubblegum up my sinuses. It was so absolutely over the top. Fructis really toned that scent down since then. Maybe they had too many allergic reactions to the ridiculous over-perfuming on their hands?
The ingredient list is simple:
Aqua. Water. H2O.
Cetyl alcohol. It keep an emulsion from separating into its oil and liquid components, are also used to alter the thickness of liquid products, to increase foaming capacity or to stabilize foams.
Cetrimonium chloride.  Helps to form emulsions by reducing the surface tension of the substances. www.cosmeticsinfo.org says “… safe for use in rinse-off products and were safe for use at concentrations of up to 0.25% in leave-on products.”
Vaccinium myrtillius extract. This is the Latin name for bilberry.
Saccharum officinarum extract. This is the Latin name for sugar cane. Also something found a lot in Fructis products (Never got why it was supposed to be good for hair)
Acer saccharum extract. This is the Latin name for sugar maple. Hah, this could easily have been in a Fructis product too.
Citrus aurantium dulcis fruit extract. This is the Latin name for oranges. Oranges have many uses in cosmetics, but the fruit extract in particular seems to be used for fragrance only.
Citrus medica limonum fruit extract. This is the Latin name for lemons. Lemons have many uses in cosmetics, but the fruit extract in particular seems to be used for fragrance only.
Parfym. Hah, I would have thought this one would be higher up with such a dominating scent!
Phenoxyethanol. Prevents microbial growth and prevents product from spoiling.
DMDM hydantoin. Is a formaldehyde-donor preservative that prevents or retards microbial growth.
Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate. Prevents or retards bacterial growth. www.cosmeticsinfo.org says “…safe as a cosmetic ingredient at concentrations less than or equal to 0.1%.”

Except for the Cetrimonium chloride so high up the list, this seems to be a nice product. Of course this leaves me with a dilemma: I really want to try this happily green product but then it wouldn’t sit there on my shelf anymore and make me crack a smile every time I look at it… 

1 comment:

  1. Igor--did you ever use Timotei Shampoo? I loved that stuff, though I think what we had over here was different than in your area. not sure if it's even on the market in Sweden anymore. I sure miss the stuff. Like your memory, the smell of that shampoo (Timotei) brings me right back to a simpler time :)

    ReplyDelete