Wednesday 1 July 2020

Luisa's Nautilus bun variation

Luisa commented this on my semi-failed Nautilus bun:

I have an idea: try coiling once or twice as nautilus and the rest of the length as a cinnamon bun. I did that once but only on extra greasy hair because it had grip. on freshly washed hair my houdini hair escapes any updo lol
I tried it and this is the result:


I would have liked this to be a lot flatter, but I think I say that about all my buns?! The "cinnamon" part seemed to push the bun outwards a little.
But what I do like, is that it didn't alter the Nautilus's awesome stability, and that it didn't get that weird lopsided effect I've been getting with Nautilus buns lately. I think this is a bun I can actually grow into and would benefit from longer hair... wow.

7 comments:

  1. I love it! It shows the length beautifully and it looks very secure, too.

    I'm also always pro flat buns and and for me the trick is to pin the inner coils down with one or two extra hair needles (the long ones made of thicker plastic), to avoid that the heaviest part of my hair gets pushed away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, maybe I should try that. I tend to go very minimalist with my updos and just use one single tool. Maybe more pins would help keep the buns flat?

      Delete
  2. Ida, have you ever experimented with heatless curls?
    They're all over Youtube for a couple of years now and even though my hair is much shorter these days, I simply can't get them to work for me and I'm starting to believe it's the hair type and not only length/thickness.

    There's a lady on YT, Beautyklove with glorious very long and very thick hair and for her the curls turn out beautifully. I think your hair should be similar in thickness, so I wondered whether you ever gave it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not a fan of curls in any way on my hair =/ It has a tendency to get insane amounts of volume if I handle it at all, and that makes it pretty hard to deal with. I would have to not touch my hair at all if I want structured curls and not insane fluff. If this link works, I have a single cool picture of curls here:
      https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMLB_Sq8MQRN1VE-Ce3-8dXixLUajFbngWbhaGp/photo/AF1QipMcF3n3zt4kRJffPzF5aQClkfq7jWw-5dhYAPLb
      And here is the aftermath of combing it out, lol:
      https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMLB_Sq8MQRN1VE-Ce3-8dXixLUajFbngWbhaGp/photo/AF1QipOrxHOg7ls-Ets-UMykvjcP7V5WkRMpbt6Cmjv4

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you like my nautilus variation. I don't know how pins will work on your bun. Usually pins slide out my bun, unless I pin my bun with spin pins or my hair is greasy enough to hold u pins as well.
    I'll try to get a good picture on my nautilus variation but I need good lighting, otherwise you can't see anything in my "black no. 1" hair (type o-negative pun intended)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very promising for sure! It really helps with the issues I've had with the regular Nautilus the last few years.
      I'd very much like to see this bun on your "black no. 1" hair ;)

      Delete