Sunday 17 January 2021

Hair and genetics

Hah. I swear this wasn't on purpose, but to this day, it's almost exactly a year ago since I mentioned mine and Mr Igor's 23andme results. I kept getting mails from them, so I figured I would check in and see. And they have updated and overhauled a lot, so that was kind of cool. 


The dandruff prediction is new, and I'm not really sure what to think? I have a bit of seasonal dandruff when the weather gets cold and wet and the indoors become hot and dry in the autumn. Although I'm not entirely sure that it really is dandruff, because it might just be my dry scalp being slightly drier around that time. So I guess pretty accurate? Maybe?


Ugh. That blasted photobleaching. It bothers me.


Now, here are three hair related in a row, and they have updated most of these with far more details. Which is pretty cool actually!


I actually thought your hair structure was pretty simple? A result of less genes in the work? Seeing it represented like this was really interesting. And how weird that I have so many genes for curly hair?


I could say the exact same with my hair colour! I didn't know it had so many genes involved? I thought it was a Mendel's second law thing where dark hair was dominant and light hair recessive? Or am I thinking of eye colour? But my individual hairs come in all colours from light blonde to dark brown with an overall result of dark blonde/light brown, so I guess that explains it. It's actually kind of funny because mr Igor is very "patchy" in comparison to me: He has areas with blonde, areas with brown and areas with black hair (And grey and white, but don't tell him I told you guys) where all my different hair strand colours are all mixed together in one big mess.


My parents strongly disagree. Heh.


I am still incredibly butthurt over this. Still. I love my copper tones. Which I apparently don't have.


They included an explanation of the widows peak in the update, and it turned out I had gotten it wrong? I thought a widows peak was that rounded hairline that some people have? But it's the other way around, a widows peak is the triangular/V hairline. Whoops.


So I personally think I do have a widows peak? What do you guys think?


23andme also updated the ancestor composition, and this was really interesting! Now their results have put me a lot closer to my original predictions. Back in November 2018 I said:
As for the genealogy, I expect a lot of Danish. Like, a lot.
My great grandfather was from an area that was disputed territory between Denmark and Germany, so he experienced being both German and danish in his lifetime. His family name was Langholz, so that fits with the area too. So I expect about 12 % German there.
Supposedly I also have a sailor from the Spanish armada in my lineage, but my grandfather found a hint that he might have been a french mercenary instead? So maybe he was a French mercenary in Spanish service?
I strongly suspect this is where I get my hair from. Scandinavian hair just doesn't grow as thick and strong as mine.
And... Yea. Got a lot closer to this now!
No more of the British, which confused everyone in my family when it showed up last year.


A lot of Danish and some German, with an especially strong hit for the north where Langholz is located. But not in the area of my sister from 200 years ago: Caroline von Holnstein. Would have been a little freaky if that had matched!


...And holy crap: French. Right there, at the Spanish border too. How cool would that be if grandpa was right?

2 comments:

  1. I think if you cut your hair like shoulder length and layer and thin it, yes, you may actually have 1c/2a hair. I think it would be actually wavy if you'd cut it to pixie and thin it. at this length gravity plays a huge role into weighing down your hair. my hair was 2b/2c when I had pixies, 2a when my hair was SL and 1c/2a since my hair hit hip length. now because I have fairytale ends I have 1c/2a. if I should cut my hait to bra strap, all one length I'd have 1c. I like my fairytale ends though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me go back and look at some old pictures XD My hair has remained fairly straight the entire time from bald, but as you point out it has mostly been one length. I guess that does make a big difference? It sounds really cool that your hair changes structure so much! That's like getting a new texture on top of more or less length! :)

      Delete